Friday 16 November 2007

This Week I Will Mostly Be Listening To... Foals

My favourite ever band this week has to be Foals. After seeing their video for 'Balloons' twenty odd times, I saw them perform live on the BBC's 'Later With Jools Holland' and am now hooked.

I realise there's a bit of a buzz surrounding the band at the moment with many pronouncing them the new saviours of Indie rock. That's obviously taking it a bit too far, but they're certainly a refreshing change from the current crop of whining generic Indie Pop soundalikes. The first thing I notice is that this is Dance music. Think of thumping The Rapture beats meeting the complicated Math Rock of TV On The Radio and you'll get some idea.

I'm not sure if it's just me but I hear echoes of Two Tone era ska with their off kilter beats and saxophones on their studio recordings. After seeing a few live clips it's clear that they can play, although how well they'll manage with larger venues remains to be seen.

According to their interviews they're promising a more experimental approach for their new album, which was actually produced by TVotR's Dave Sitek. Certainly one to watch even if they don't save Indie.

No comments: